Recently GIZMODO had a post The Amazing Contents of Steve Wozniak’s Travel Backpack and it outlines what Steve Wozniak carries in his backpack. His backpack weighs in at around a hefty 50 lbs and contains a number electronic gadgets which he says are all used, except for maybe the bluetooth mouse.
Based on his list, that’s a ton of stuff, but then he’s a true road warrior, travels a lot, so it’s essential for him to carry the gadgets, but it’s not for me.
So with his example, here is what I carry in my Swiss Army MacBook Pro laptop backpack:
- 15” MacBook Pro 2.2GHz Quad-core Intel i7 (Oct 2011 version, Apple Refurbished, just as good as the new stuff, with the discounts. Also, it’s always a generation or two behind the current ones as the “bugs” have been ironed out and I don’t need the latest and greatest) + Mag adapter (I have two, one permanently at home and one to travel with)
- VGA and DVI Video adaptors for video projectors
- iPhone USB charging cable and plug
- Sharpies, to sign books
- Moleskin journals (3×5 and 6×9 for writing good thoughts)
- Leatherman Wave (for those emergencies that require a tool of some sort)
- Copy of my book (to share and sell)
- Copies of my previous book proofs to show others my progress in book design decisions and to show others that they can do it, too.
- Aspirins and lip balm.
- Spiral college rule notebook (for taking notes and writing ideas down, scratch paper)
- Protein bars
- Box of business cards
- Flash drives (8GB and smaller ones)
- Microfiber screen cloth for iPhone and Mac laptop
- Mints and chewing gum.
- Mobile surge protector.
- Square (to sell books on the road)
Items I do not carry, but may at some point:
- External Hard Drive (I have Dropbox and iCloud for uploading my small files for safekeeping. If I was a hard Mac driver, I’d get a small one to put in my backpack).
- AirPort Express (if I travelled more, I’d get this to be able to move around in a hotel room)
- Ethernet cable (if I travelled more, this would go with the Airport Express above, or if I must check my bank accounts, NEVER via WiFi)
- Cigarette lighter power converter (to charge items traveling to various locations).
- Gelskin cover for my Mac (traveling a lot would require me to take my Mac into “hostile” territory, need it to keep nice).
So, there you have it, what I carry.
What do you carry?
Or what would you tell me to add to my list?