As a budding author, entrepreneur, and startup business owner I have had the opportunity of learning how to create a Table of Contents in Apple’s iWork Pages. It’s not that difficult at all. Here’s the steps.
- Size your document/book. This means that you need to select a size of your document or book to the dimensions that you want. If it’s a school paper, then its 8.5″x11″ and you need to do nothing. If it’s a 6″x9″ Trade sized book you need to go to Inspector > Document > Document tab > Page Setup and then select Custom and create the correct size document.
- Insert text and header text. Type in or cut and paste some text and header text into your new document.
- Paragraph styles of headers. Using paragraph styles select the type of header text style sheets you need to use them as the focus of your Table of Contents. If the TOC does not show up, here’s the step that needs to done.
- Create your Table of Contents. You need to insert a page break at the beginning of your document so that your Table of Contents is at the front. Place the cursor at the front of your document. Next, go to the menu Insert > Table of Contents and it will insert the TOC in your document.
- Refine your Table of Contents. Go to Inspector > Document > TOC and begin to decide on what you want to show in your TOC by clicking on the boxes of each paragraph style sheet you want to show up.
There you have it. That was easy.
Now be aware that you TOC will only change when you change the header text in your document AND then click on the TOC and both the pages and header text will change.
In addition, the TOC can be changed fontwise compared with the rest of your document so it can be unique.