One of the worst feelings any startup entrepreneur has is having their life’s work and life lost or stolen from them which resides on their Mac. I personally have not had this happen, but having worked selling computers to businesses I have come across any number of people that have had their computer stolen and they are not only devastated, but worried about the identify theft that can occur. Imagine being a graphic art studio and walking into your business and finding all of your hardware gone. It leaves a sinking feeling in your stomach.
First: Back up ALL of your files! Losing the files can delay doing business, so backup your files ensures you can meet deadlines and can still make money. Then you can begin locating your lost stuff.
But there is hope, here are 10 ways of getting your Mac and your life back.
- MobileMe – finds your lost or stolen iPhone or iPod Touch. Check out MobileMe’s Back to my Mac feature, here’s a story about it and getting a Mac back.
- Dropbox – Use Dropbox to Locate Your Lost or Stolen Computer is another way.
- LoJack for laptops – http://absolute.com/en/lojackforlaptops/home.aspx
- VigiMac – http://www.vigimac.com/
- PreyProject – http://preyproject.com/
- GadgetTrack – http://www.gadgettrak.com/products/laptop/
- Undercover – http://www.orbicule.com/undercover/
- Hidden – http://hiddenapp.com/
- Mac Calls Home – http://www.mark-up.com/store/MacBook-Call-Home/
- Viwer – http://stumpy.vuse.vanderbilt.edu/VUWER.htm
Now, take some action before something happens.
A suggestion: One of the ways of helping out in such a stressful situation is to email this link to these various solutions to a Gmail account and keep it always “on file” to be brought up when such an event hits you. Or, bookmark (hide it so the average thief won’t know it) it so that your browser bookmarks are shared among your various Apple devices and you can access.
The Gmail suggestion means you can access it from anywhere, such as a police station, if needed.
- Man Gets Lead On Laptop Thief Using Dropbox Program (consumerist.com)
- “Find My iPhone” App Locates Lost Apple Gadgets [IPhone Apps] (gizmodo.com)
- The Independent advises gadget owners to opt for comprehensive home insurance (money.marksandspencer.com)
- Using DropBox Client Kickbox for Windows Phone 7 (brighthub.com)
- GadgetTrak app tracks stolen iPhones (macworld.com)
- Find My iPhone app thwarts another thief (tuaw.com)
- Lock Down Your Life: How to Secure Your Home, Auto and Smartphone (livescience.com)
- TGWK’s Tutorials – Set Up “Find My iPhone” (thegamerwithkids.com)
- MILLION-DOLLAR IDEA: This Software Will Locate Your Stolen Laptop Or iPhone And Take A Picture Of The Thief (businessinsider.com)